What is The Best Handheld Golf GPS?
Distance measuring devices come in many shapes, sizes, and forms these days, with each one offering something slightly different at many price points. The main reason to invest in a handheld golf GPS is to get accurate distances quickly and easily, helping you to improve your game.
Any golfer that is serious about their game should consider having a handheld golf GPS. The advantages of having this device are many, but having the right one matters even more. There are a wide variety of products available which vary in price and features. But what is the best handheld golf GPS for you? Read on to find one that suits your needs.
Handheld Golf GPS Reviews
Garmin Approach G10 Handheld Golf GPS
There are many things that define a great golf GPS, but accuracy and ease of use are normally at the top of most golfers lists. And this is exactly what the lightweight and compact Garmin G10 offers you.
This GPS device comes with more than 40,000 courses preloaded and there are no fees for updates or downloads. The G10 has green view and manual pin placement features that allow you to track distances from where you are.
This compact and small GPS gives you highly accurate distances to the back, center, and front of the green while also showing hazards, layups, and doglegs. The G10 also has an integrated pedometer that tracks the total steps taken during your round of golf.
The battery is a lithium-ion battery which can easily be recharged. The G10’s battery is one of its standout features as it can last up to 15 hours on one charge. The digital scorecard allows you to keep track of your performance. You can also download and review your previous rounds on the convenient app.
The black and white LCD display makes it easy to see your data, especially when you are in very sunny conditions. The sleek and compact pocket-size design means you can clip this GPS to your belt or place it in your pocket easily.
- Display size: 0.9” x 0.9” (23 x 23 mm)
- Compact Design - Sleek, Pocket-Sized Design That Conveniently Clips-On To Your Belt, Bag Or Place It In Your Pocket
- Hazards - Hazards And Course Targets To Identify Locations Of Sand Traps, Water Hazards And More
- Gps Receiver - High-Sensitivity Gps Acquires Satellites Quickly To Show Distance To Greens, Hazards And Doglegs -Even Under Tree Cover
- Green View - Displays The Shape Of The Green With Manual Pin Placement
- Compact and easy to use
- Easy to read
- Downloadable digital scorecard
- No download or update fees
- Impressive battery life
- No touch targeting
- Doesn’t have activity tracking function
- Can lose signal in rural areas
Bushnell Neo Ghost Golf GPS
This handy pocket-sized golf GPS has more than 30,000 courses preloaded to it as well as back, center, and front distances to the green. Paired with its reasonable price tag, this offering from Bushnell is worth a look.
With over 30,000 preloaded golf courses, you can play almost anywhere in the world and be certain that you can find the course you are golfing on. The auto course and hole recognition feature automatically detects the course you are at based on your location as well as the hole you are playing.
This Bushnell GPS is tournament legal, and it complies with the rules set out by the USGA. This means that you can use this device for practice as well as tournaments. The battery is rechargeable and has a very long life that allows you to easily play up to 12 hours before you have to recharge it again.
The Bushnell Neo Ghost can fit in your pocket or be clipped to your belt thanks to it being so small and lightweight. Despite its compact size, the 1.4 x 1.4 inch screen is easy to read. The body of the GPS is waterproof, so you can use it even when you are in moist, humid, or rainy conditions. The Neo Ghost is also available in black, white, charcoal, or green so you can find one that works best with your golfing attire.
- Tournament legal pocket-sized easy to use golf GPS pre-loaded with 30,000+ courses
- Long battery life means you can play three rounds before charging
- Auto course recognition and auto hole advance
- Easy to read distances to front center and back of greens
- Up to four custom hazard and layup distances per hole
- Very long battery life
- Easy to read distances
- Tournament legal device
- Lightweight and small
- No membership or download fees
- The user guide is unreliable
- Some USGA ranked golf courses are missing
- No color screen
- Course maps don’t include all hazards.
Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Golf GPS
The Garmin Approach G6 is an easy-to-use handheld golf GPS which can be used to increase your accuracy. The statistic tracking features lets you check your progress as you play and you can also download the data to ensure that you are improving.
The G6 has a new digital scorecard that lets you capture important information for Stableford, Skins, match play, and stroke play competitions as well as handicaps, which are adjustable.
The enhanced statistic tracking feature helps you keep track of your fairways hit, putts per round, and greens in regulation. Plus, you can monitor your stats while you are playing as well as download them at a later stage for review. The Garmin G6 allows you to update and average how far you can hit with each of your clubs, making it easy to choose the correct club for each shot.
The Approach G6 is preloaded with over 39,000 courses from around the world, so you can easily find a course wherever you may be. The courses are updated regularly at no additional cost to you.
The glove-friendly 2.6-inch touchscreen is rugged, durable, and waterproof. It is also bright enough to use in any weather condition and the display font is very easy to read. The lithium polymer battery is rechargeable and a single charge can last up to 4 rounds of golf thanks to its 15 hour battery life.
- Preloaded with over 25,000 worldwide courses - no subscriptions required.^Slim, rugged, waterproof design.^2.6" glove-friendly touchscreen display and adjustable backlight.
- Physical dimensions 2.1" x 3.7" x 0.8" (5.4 x 9.3 x 1.9 cm)
- Small and lightweight
- Easy to read touchscreen
- Great battery life
- Downloadable scorecard
- Screen is very small
- Can’t track real time shots
- Difficult to see battery life remaining
PlayBetter Golf Buddy Voice X Golf GPS
If you are looking for the next generation in voice line golf GPS devices, then the Golf Buddy VoiceX GPS may be just what you are looking for to up your golf game.
No products found.
The Golf Buddy Voice X bundle comes with the GPS device, a portable 2200mAh lipstick charger, and a USB charging cable. This audio golf GPS is easy to use and the rounded design makes it very comfortable to hold or clip onto your hat or belt.
The Golf Buddy comes preloaded with over 38,000 courses around the glove, and you can update the available courses via Bluetooth when you are connected to Golf Buddy’s app. This GPS device tells you the distances to the back, center, and front of the green as well as the targets and hazards. The automatic hole and course recognition allows you to effortlessly go about your game.
The large display ensures that you can read the data with ease. The GPS is also water resistant so you can play in humid or rainy conditions. The distance readings and dynamic green view is done from your position. GPS tracking can be done in outdoor or golf mode, and there are male and female voice options.
No products found.
- Auto hole and course recognition
- Large, easy-to-read display
- Distance measuring for each shot
- Water resistant
- Can be easily lost
No products found.
Arccos 360 Golf Tracking System
If you do not like the typical GPS or watch devices that are commonly available on the market, then the Arccos system is perfect for you.
When heading off to a golf game, you don’t want to search for more than one item to track your progress. The Arccos 360 has individual sensors which are paired with each club. This data is sent to your smart device where the app displays your statistics such as greens missed and fairways hit.
This system is fully automated to detect your swing, setting it apart from other GPS tracking systems. The Arccos has 14 sensors which attach to each of your clubs. The sensors send data wirelessly to an app on your smartphone which gives you information about your distances, hits, misses, and other statistics. You never need to charge the sensors as they rely on your Android phone or iPhone. However, they do not drain your battery very much and will last as long as your phone does.
The GPS works very well and the sensors give you the precise distances that you hit with each club, which is ideal if you want to improve your skill level.
- Arccos users know the exact distance to any point on the course, learn precisely which club to use in every situation and identify actual strengths and weaknesses of their game.
- Developed in partnership with Microsoft, Arccos Caddie shows your optimal strategy on any hole in the world. It analyzes every shot you’ve taken with Arccos, as well as 100 million+ shots taken by the Arccos community on more than 40, 000 courses.
- Arccos 360 is hands-free and fully automatic. Unlike competing products, it requires no tagging, tapping or other annoying disruptions to a player's routine.
- The updated low-profile sensors are 50% smaller and lighter than the original Arccos Golf system. Arccos 360 sensors feature a permanent battery that is designed to last five years. The sensors come standard with a no-questions-asked, two-year .
- A free mobile app available for iOS or Android phones
- Strategy tips from caddy function
- Easy to use
- 14 sensors track your swing data
- Excellent GPS
- Misses data on some shots
Some modern handheld golf GPS systems can completely change the way you play golf while others will only give you very basic distance information. Ensure that you read reviews before purchasing as this will help you work out which features a product has and which you will use.
With all of the above considered, our final recommendation is the PlayBetter Golf Buddy Voice X Golf GPS because of its large, easy-to-read display, lightweight and durable build, and the automatic hole and course recognition. Of course, the water resistant materials also push it up on our list, allowing you to play in any weather conditions.